Wednesday, March 28, 2012

John Prine and a Birthday Party

In what seems like a lifetime ago, I use to throw my own birthday parties at the house in Davis Bay.
Beer was chilled in 30 gallon tubs of icewater, Three barbeques to cook salmon, beef and wieners. A band of musician friends or solo performers to entertain. Martini fueled tricycle races on a barricaded street. Life was very, very good.
At the last one at that location, I decided that I was going to sing a song with the band. I chose a John Prine song, because it sounded like something I could do. Now...listen closely, I have never, ever been complimented on my singing voice...do you know why?...well it's 'cause I can't sing a lick...couldn't carry a tune in the proverbial bucket.
My wife at the time was/is an accomplished musician. She volunteered to help me practice. She played a 12 string guitar for dozens, maybe hundreds of attempts. When I wasn't doing that, I was singing along to a cassette tape of John's in my truck. It got to the point where the kids were asking, no pleading for me not to practice at night ...it was giving them nightmares.

On the day of the last Davis Bay birthday party, once the barbeques were lit, the booze was flowing and the band was in full swing...it was time to sing.
I practiced softly out front, with my wife strumming on the 12 string. It sounded pretty good...you know ...good enough.
I made two mistakes. One was gulping down a full martini to ease the stage fright. Whatever fine muscle control I had in my throat, slipped away.
Second, because the band was confident that they could carry me through whatever mess I got myself into, we never practiced together. I had only sung to the strum of a single guitar, and to a cassette tape in a pickup truck.
I did not not have the chops to pull that off...someone with a few years of experience...sure. Me...not so much.
I pretty much blew it within a couple bars out of nerves and not being in sync with the un-tested band. Guitar Johnny tried to whisper encouragements and recover. My wife tried to get me to look at her and follow along. But mine were the eyes of a drowning sailor. It was a bust.
 Luckily the drunken tricycle race cheered me up immensely, and we talked the boys into  enthusiastic rounds of the Kinks song "Lola" for a group sing a long.
You know, that was ten years ago, and I haven't sang out loud since that evening. I guess it was just embarrassment or some such thing. It seems a waste though now. looking back at it.
Maybe it's time to try again.
Here's a pic of that night..after most of the action. The guy in the cool hat is Guitar John Thompson, he brought his band, Ten Bear to the party. The other fella is Skip Reeves, one of my contractor buddies and a bluegrass man. There was a great video of that afternoon, made by the kids  talking turns with the video camera. I haven't got a clue where that tape is, but I would surely love to know.
The other members of the band were, Barry Taylor on drums, and Steve Quattrocchi on guitar and mandolin.



This is the song....I still like it.
Here is another John Prine song that fits right in with some of the research that I have been digging into lately on a particular project.

No comments:

Post a Comment