Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Long Dead Bukowski Speaks About Revolution

Excerpted from the book "Charles Bukowski, Portions From a Wine- Stained Book"
Chapter titled "Should We Burn Uncle Sam's Ass?"                  written in the late 60's            page 80/81

And this is a small portion of that chapter

And now once again the intellectuals are crying "Revolution" A bank is burned, IBM bombed, a telephone company bombed, others....cops are stoned, their cars burned, cops kill-always have.

fast forward...

Before you decide on a Revolution, be sure that you can win it-by this I mean violent overthrow. Before this can be accomplished you must have some revolution within the ranks of the National Guard and the police force. This just isn't happening to any degree. Then you must do it at the polls. And your chances there were taken away with both Kennedys. At this time there are too many people afraid for their jobs, there are too many people buying cars, TV sets, homes, educations on credit. Credit and property and the 8 hour day are great friends of the Establishment. If you must buy things, pay cash and only things of value-no trinkets, no gimmicks. Everything you own must be able to fit inside one suitcase, then your mind might be free. And before you face the troops in the street, DECIDE and KNOW  what you are going to replace them with and why. Romantic slogans won't do. Have a definite program, clearly worded so if you DO win, you will have a suitable and decent form of government.

Fast forward

Let me know what you have for me before I burn down a bank. I need more than hippy beads, a beard, an Indian headband and legal grass. What is your program? I'm tired of all the dead. Let's not waste them again. If I must face a State Troopers bayonet, I want to know what you will give me , if I take it away from him.
Tell me.


No comments:

Post a Comment