Monday, February 6, 2012

Photos From the 2009 Reykjavik Marathon

I have photographed a few races now, and I must say that Iceland had the most supportive and noisy cheering section that I have ever seen...lots of cheers, whistles and cowbells..big smiles...lots of celebration.
There was a much larger crowd at the race than I would have expected for this part of the world. What I didn't realize...is what a popular "trophy" race this is...meaning that "running in Iceland" looks great on your athletic resume.
The weather for the race was chilly, windy mixed in with some intermittent rain. The slog along the seashore, pushing into a cold headwind was tough on everybody.
There were shorter distances to sign up for...so running a full marathon is not a requirement if you want go to this event. There was quite a large contingent of younger kids running at all different levels...probably the highest concentration of younger people at this race, than I have seen before.
Here are a few of the 1000 or so images from race day in Iceland. I'll add more later

I greatly reduced the image file size to make for easier loading to Youtube..This results in a grainy look....High resolution/crystal clear photos are available.

To get a larger screen...click on the Youtube symbol 

No comments:

Post a Comment