Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Tony Robbins

I've been listening to Tony Robbins since 1988. In all seriousness...without his coaching and methods, it's unlikely that I would have gotten past some of my biggest challenges..or even survived . My ability to  successfully navigate some of the dark days of business, family and life came from the studying his methods. My ability to manifest the greatest days of my life came from the same source.
 In 1988, I spent 200 bucks that I didn't really have to order a tape set from late night TV. It was literally ...a life altering decision. ( I phoned a 1-800 number...made the order to a "real" person...they mailed a box full of cassette tapes with a bill attached. I in turn, wrote a cheque..and mailed it out to pay for the tape set.)

Here's a few points that are important.

There is a quote that goes something like this " when the student is ready, the teacher will appear."...

Whether it's Tony Robbins or Wayne Dyer or Bugs Bunny or your neighbor...when you are "ready" and open to it...a teacher that is in alignment with what you need will show up in your life.

Now this is interesting...In my life I have had the pleasure of introducing dozens of people to the sport of rock climbing. This means traveling to a rock climbing destination, teaching the basic methods..and then gradually moving on to climbing hundreds or even thousands of feet above the safety of the ground.

My success rate..my conversion of non-climbers to enthusiastic rock hounds is 100%. What that means is...whoever actually gets to the rock..and puts on a harness and rock shoes....will be sold on the idea of being a climber. Doing the impossible...going higher than they ever thought possible...taking massive risk and having huge fun doing it. 100% is a pretty solid number.  ( The only time that the students don't follow through long term... is when there is a lack of qualified partners )

My success rate/conversion rate, when I train newbies in a weightlifting gym is less than 50 %. The lifestyle change, the reading/study that I ask for...the pain and the lack of internal motivation keeps a lot of people from adapting the gym and weights lifestyle. Being supremely fit just isn't a strong enough driver to cause long term change.

My success rate/conversion rate at turning people on to the teachings of Tony Robbins is exactly 0%.

Not one person has ever had the "Holy shit...I really need to have this" moment.

Mostly, they are totally repelled by what they see and hear. It's a strong visceral response...as in "There's no fucking way that I'm going to listen to some freaky looking guy YELL at me and tell me how to run my life...my life is just fine the way it is."

So...this makes me think that people would rather hang from a string, 1000 feet above the ground...than listen to ideas about how to live and think in a new and improved way...maybe it's something else, I don't know.

Here's what I believe...If you only absorb and actually use 1/10th of the information given...your life will change massively. In a few months or years..there will be a new version of you.

Find a teacher or mentor that resonates with you. Maybe it's Tony, or Neale Donald Walsch, or Marianne Williamson...Wayne Dyer...the Dalai Lama...Sogyal Rinpoche...and start your journey. ( if your mentor does turn out to be Bugs Bunny or Crusty the Clown...let me know how that works out for you )

No comments:

Post a Comment