Thursday, April 12, 2012

Basa Fish

 I won't waste your time...Basa fish is junk food...not the sweet kind that we all know and love...but it is perhaps the toxic kind.
When I found Basa fish in the Safeway store, I circled around it for a while. not knowing what it was. The first thing that I noticed was the price. It was way cheaper than all the other white meat fish in the cooler.
I am always on the lookout for cheap sources of protein, so fish that looked like cod and was very cheap, had my interest.
 I finally plunged in a and bought two packages of filets, and took them home to experiment with. Mixing the filets in with spices and olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a big flat pan seemed to work pretty good.
The result was pleasing in that the fish absorbed the flavours like a sponge. Other trials with less flavour boosters resulted in a very bland dinner.
It actually worked out pretty good in a friends fish and chips recipe. While munching down on the dinner we talked about the Basa, that's when I discovered that there was a certain amount of controversy on the subject.

The farming practices were mentioned and the feeding regime discussed. Let's put it this way, if the stories are only half true, then this is some seriously unfit for human consumption meat. For me to say that... is something,
I'm pretty much the "Robo-Eater", so when I have questions about what I'm chewing on, it's like Keith Richards asking questions about his dope supply...instead of scarfing it all down and asking
 "Do you have more?"
Here's the video on the subject. Sometimes the price you pay isn't worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment